Weekend delight: How to make Zobo Drink
Yesterday, our post on hypertension revealed the health benefits of Zobo drink and how it can be used to manage hypertension. Asides that, it is very good for eye sight as it is a source of Vitamin A. Its a nutritious drink that you can make for the kids for school.
Zobo is relatively very cheap as it can go for as low as #50 per bottle. If you prefer making it by yourself due to hygiene and other factors, here’s how to do so. It is very easy to make as it takes about thirty minutes to prepare.
Preparation time: 30mins
What you’ll need
- 5-6 cups of dried zobo leaves.
- Ginger (2-3 fingers).
- 2 sachets of Joccy’s Pineapple flavor (optional)
- 4-5 litres of water.
How to Make Zobo
- After buying the leaves from the market, ensure you hand-pick every unwanted substance from the leaves and start cooking with a lot of water. If you want to wash the leaves before cooking, be careful so you don’t wash away the original nutrient, don’t soak before washing, just pour few liters of water, wash and transfer immediately into the cooking pot.
- Cook to boil before adding the ginger. You can chop them into tiny bit or grind with a blender.
- Cook for another ten to fifteen minutes before you taste, if it does taste alright then filter and add the joccy pineapple flavor that already contained sugar. You don’t want it too sweet. So add a teaspoon and observe. Refrigerate. That is how to make zobo, it’s easy right?
The standard zobo drink can be made with just three ingredients – the leaves, choice of flavor and ginger but as you already know, zobo has a somewhat sugary taste, most people chose to add few cubes of sugar or you can add crushed dates for sweetness.
Enjoy and Happy new year to you and your families!