“Thank God for safe delivery…. My aunt just gave birth to 3 boys….after 6 years of marriage ….we serve a faithful God”.
Here are Top facts you may not know about triplets!
- Approx 1/3rd of higher order births occur spontaneously (naturally), 1/3rd following IVF or GIFT treatment and 1/3rd from ovulation inducing drugs alone.
- Fraternal triplets (tri-zygotic) are created when three eggs are released and each is fertilized by a different sperm
- Identical triplets (monozygotic) are created when only one egg is released and fertilized, but splits, and then one half splits again. Very rare
- Mixed – two identical and one fraternal (a pair and a spare!) occur when two eggs are released and fertilized separately, and one of those fertilized eggs splits again.
- Identical ones share 100% of their DNA, are the same sex, have the same blood types, hair and eye colour, hand and footprints but have different teeth marks and fingerprints.
- Over 90% of triplets and quadruplets are born prematurely and/or have low birth-weight& ;(34 weeks is expected pregnancy length &; 1.8kg birth weight)
- A 1983 study revealed that a mother of six-month-old-triplets expends an average of 197.5 hours per week (out of a possible 168) between herself and paid/volunteer assistance, on the care of her children and home. This did not include a time allowance for mother to bathe, dress, sleep, eat, relax or talk with partner!
Congrats to them!