Maintaining and Keeping your short hair healthy
The short hair do is in vogue, and whether it is the ‘Pixie’ cut, the side or full fringe bob cut, we all want to sport the latest trends. The twist to this trend is that it’s the natural hair that’s cut, and not some hair extensions styled in a short style. Ladies are now opting to cut their natural hair to enable them style it as desired, but before yo cut your hair, read THIS.
Short hairdo draws more attention to the face, hence it is important to maintain the look and more importantly,to keep the hair healthy. Healthy hair can change the way you look and the way your hair styles look on you. Here are some ways to keep short hair healthy:
- Instead of helping the hair to look and feel healthier, using a lot of products further damages the hair quality so keep it simple and avoid using too many hair products. Natural products like castor oil and shea butter is fine. Over application of hair products can destroy the hair texture.
- Shampoo your short hair twice a week Some people shampoo once a week and some shampoo 3-4 times. Preferably, shampoo your hair twice every week. Using too much soap on hair can really damage the hair quality so refrain from doing that and always use a conditioner after shampooing your hair to bring back some of the lost moisture. If you have to shampoo frequently, try using a mild shampoo that can be used on a daily basis.
- Your diet plays a vital role in determining your hair quality. Have a diet high in proteins and iron. Fish, eggs, tofu, beans and poultry are a good source of proteins. Spinach and other leafy vegetables can give you the required amount of iron.
- The sun can damage your hair like nothing else especially when you have short hair so wear a hat or wig when you go out. In fact, hats look very trendy on women with short hair and give the much required sun protection to it. If you are up for it, you can also wrap a scarf around your head.
- Condition your hair with oil before you shampoo. In a constant effort to make hair look pretty, at times we only focus on shampooing and forget oiling our hair. Oil is a natural conditioner and applying some warm oil to your hair before you shampoo is going to make your hair look healthier.
- Wet hair tends to break very easily especially when it’s short. So, avoid brushing your hair while it wet to save some unnecessary hair breakage. If you have to brush it in order to style it when it’s wet, comb your hair with a brush that has wide teeth.
Lastly, before having the haircut, consult with a barber and discuss prospective hair cuts that’ll fit your face shape, complexion and stature. For an edgy twist, you can also dye your hair.