Celebrating Successful career women: Mrs. Olufunso Adegbola – Nee Ige
Mrs Olufunso Adegbola was born in December 1960 to the family of Bola and Tinuke Ige, both of blessed memory. She had her primary school education at Eleyele Private School in Ibadan.
She attended secondary school at St. Anne’s School Molete, Ibadan from 1970-1975. In 1975, she went to Westonbirt School in England for her O and A-levels.
In 1979, Funso went to Essex University and obtained her B.A Hons in Modern Languages and Linguistics, specializing in French and Spanish in 1983. As part of her training, she taught Oral English in 2 Parisian secondary schools.
This was a very rewarding experience and which revealed her passion for young people and desire to make an impact. In her desire to keep learning, in 1983, she embarked on a second degree in Law at the University of Bristol. In 1986, she obtained her LLB Hons and proceeded to the Nigeria Law School and was called to the Nigerian Bar in 1987.
Funso served her NYSC year with Ademola, Ajakaiye and Co and later worked with the chambers of Bola Ige and Co until 1994. In November 1994, she established The Vale College, a Cristian-based, private, co-educational, boarding and day, secondary school, in Ibadan.
She is passionate about women and young people. She has been doing voluntary work with motherless babies since she was 13 years old, and is currently the Chairperson of the Management Board of Ibadan Home for Motherless Babies.
· She is a member of Educare Trust and has represented Educare Trust on the Children’s Rights Implementation Committee of Oyo State.
· A member of NBA and FIDA Oyo, and has served as Public Relations Officer of FIDA.
· She is a life member of Full Gospel Business Men’s Fellowship.
· She is a member of the UI Advancement board and is on the Board of Advisers of Spellbound Africa.
· She is a trustee of APEN, Association of Private Educators in Nigeria and the Oyo State Chapter of APPAPSS-Association of Proprietors of Private and Accredited Secondary Schools.
· She is a member of WIMBIZ Women in Management and Business.
· She is the President of the Alliance Francaise in Ibadan. In January 2016 she received the French national honour of ‘Chevalier de l’ordres des Palmes Academiques’ in recognition of her outstanding contribution to the French language and culture
Funso is an avid lifelong learner who loves to read management and personal development books. She has attended several management courses at home and abroad including the Lagos Business School- LBS and Harvard Business School.
Her hobbies are travelling, meeting new people and public speaking. She is the author of ‘He gave me wings’, published by Bookbuilders. She has several mentors and mentees.
Funso is married to Gbenro, a book publisher and together they have 2 wonderful children, who are both lawyers.
Do read below the exclusive interview with Mrs Funso Adegboola who is also part of FAB expert (Educationist) team in Family Affairs Blog
1. What is your passion and what keeps you going no matter the challenges?
My passion is to make an impact especially in the lives of women and children. What keeps me going is God’s grace and constantly reminding myself that ‘I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.