Is Parenting stressing you? Read this!
Parenting has its good times as well. Over the years, there are plenty of ups and downs. Truth is this; parents don’t always enjoy children. Children can be disappointing, overwhelming, tedious etc. but as a parent, you have to get it together. Don’t feel alone, many other parents feel the exact same way.
What can parents do to help themselves negotiate the down times more successfully? Here are some ideas:
- Accept the dissatisfaction as a normal part of the parenting journey. Expect negativity to fluctuate, to come and go as the situation changes.
- During stressful periods of parenting, try to find personal satisfaction in other endeavors. This may be the time to take or get involved in an activity that you’ve been interested in. This is a good time to strengthen your marriage and spend more quality time with your spouse.
- Give a bit more attention to your social life, sleep habits and diet will serve you well, as will a dedicated exercise routine. The more full and balanced your personal life is, the better you will be able to tolerate and deal with a difficult parenting situation.
- Get professional support if your negativity is affecting your mood or your health, or impacting your relationships with the child or children in question, or your marriage.
- Need I remind you that if anything happens to you today, life goes on? Your children will continue to live their lives. So why stress?
- Learn specific stress-reduction strategies that can lighten feelings of anger, resentment, helplessness, despair, anxiety and other negative emotions. Such techniques make it easier to cope with difficult periods in parenting.
It’s easier to enjoy parenting when we give ourselves permission to not enjoy it, too. Its not just about your children, it’s about you too.