Types Of Nigerian Fathers: Which One Are You?
The role of a father, father figure and even single mothers having ‘father-like strength’ is huge in our society.
We offer you to look at 13 different types of Nigerian fathers, and we bet you can spot yours below.
- The wife beater This father makes it uncomfortable for you at home and impossible for you to love him. He only knows how to talk with his fists and you watch as he pounds your mother day after day and if you interfere, you get a fair share of the abuse. Worse of all, your mother nurses her wounds and warns you not to talk or complain. She will convince you that this is a version of love. Get help for your mother before he beats her to death.
- The disciplinarian: You have to walk on egg shells with this father in the home. Anything you do wrong, will end in a serious punishment or beating. Stroke of the koboko, lashes of his favourite belt, hot slaps, knocks, etc, you’ve experienced it all. Anything can set him of from a bad grade to bad behaviour. Good thing is it ends once you’re old enough to leave his house… provided you don’t mess up big time in future, then you will learn you’re not too old to get your backside whooped.
- The one who you call ‘Sir’: This father makes sure you know he is not your friend and will never be. You may be half of him, but he makes sure he you treat him like he is your oga. It will be a bit like a military regime: when he talks to you, you stand straight, look him in the eye and address him as sir.
- The calm one: To this father, you’re a precious little egg that needs to be cradled and he wouldn’t dare raise his voice at you. And opposites attract so, it’s your mother who will be whipping sense into you occasionally. The plus side is that he will always have the soothing touch or words and when he has the money, shower it on his pet.
- The nurturing one: This daddy dearest can compete with mothers anywhere. He burps babies, changes diapers, pets you to sleep, reads you bedtime stories; he is every woman’s dream! He is super involved in parenting and does everything but breastfeed! This type will secure a good bond with the children and dispels the stereotype of uninvolved fathers.
- The supportive dad aka the ‘say yes’ dad: Want to study whatever the hell you want in school? Want to travel the world? Heck, want to drop out of school? You go! This type of father has got your back 24/7 and is every child’s dream. He understands you are a separate being from him and does not force his ideals on you. He will only advice you on what he feels is right and say where his limits lie, but he will never stop you from living your life.
- The unsupportive dad This type of father takes pride in the fact you are half of him and so therefore, you must be 100 per cent like him. What did you say? You want to do what is outside his plans for you? Lol, jokes! My friend, you will study what he wants, do all he wants, when he wants and it shall be so till the day he dies or till he changes. Lol, it’s till he dies, he will never change.
- The serial cheater You love your mother but this father will have you questioning your mother’s sanity. He will have different women and you will lose count, plus he doesn’t even hide it. People always spot him with them all over town and your mother ignores it all with a smile on his face and food for him every night. Your mother is not insane my dear, she’s just grinning and bearing the woes and marrying a serial cheater.
- The drunk/chain smoker All the time you’ve known him, he has a bottle of liquor by his side, in his hands or a cigarette on his lips. The smell of cigarettes do nothing to you and it’s even the reason you’ve started smoking and drinking. Or maybe the reason you swore to never drink or smoke.
- The tech-savvy dad He was rocking Instagram and Facebook before you even knew what they were. He upgrades his phones quicker than anyone you know. When you gist with him, he knows all the up to date gadgets and current social media and you can’t compete. Even your friends agree he is cooler than you and you
- The encyclopedia/dictionary/history guide Google does not have anything on this type of father. From when you were young, he was all the research you needed and even till now he can give detailed facts about things no one really knows. Whether it’s an assignment or you just want to be enlightened, this type of father has got your back and with him around, you’ll never be ignorant. Write down most of what he tells you, so you never forget.
- The old fashioned dad From forbidding your left hand to prostrating when you greet, this father carefully practices the ways of his ancestors. Whether he is in America or Antarctica, he will still be 100 percent Nigerian. Your clothes are too hip for him, he will never understand your piercing or tattoos and God forbid you have a baby outside marriage? You’ll never hear the end of it and he’ll force you to marry because that’s how it is done.
- The upgradable dad This father can adapt anywhere. If he goes to America, he switches it up and understands that if he touches you, you can call child support so he let’s you be. You can be free to express yourself as you like and he won’t judge you or force his ideals on you. You can even have a child outside marriage and he’ll still walk.
So fathers, which one are you?